Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1001 Comics

Paul Gravett is the scene maker in UK comics. He just put out his edited volume, 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die. People asked me why would I need this book. But I said there'll always be new things to learn and read and it's good to see that there were Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and HK represented here. (although I'd have selected Town Boy over Kampong Boy...;) )

http://www.paulgravett.com/index.php/1001_comics/index

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/04/1001-comics-paul-gravett-wants-you-to-read-before-you-die/

I was emailing Paul about the book and he asked me if there are any Singapore comics that should go in. I'm hard pressed for an answer. Unlike drama, literature and even films, there has not been much development for comics in Singapore for the past 30 years. But let's have your views here. Tell us what are your top 3 Singapore comics for the last 30 years and would they stand up to international scrutiny and standards?

1 comment:

ez said...

you've answered your own question there :)